Friday, March 8, 2013

great american fitness adventure

Have you heard about GAFA?

The Great American Fitness Adventure is a program that inspires you to get moving! "Participants choose any activities they like… whether they go for a walk around town or head to a park for vigorous hiking, cycle around the block or try mountain biking, use the gym or learn rock climbing. For each day they log 30 minutes of exercise, they earn a virtual park entrance pass and move along the Great American Fitness Adventure trail, learning about each national treasure."   This is my second year participating in the adventure and while I log my exercise in another location, I'm using this tool to learn more about our nation's parks and activities.  For instance, by logging my exercise time today, I've virtually visited Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, in New Mexico. Home to sandhill cranes and snow geese (my favorite), I didn't know that this was one of the largest winter refuges.  Maybe someday I will be able to visit in person!

This is a great program for inspiration and knowledge.  There's also a team spirit element built into it to help us gather steam and competition for prizes at the end.  There are 116 teams at my company and my team is bouncing around at around 95th place.  We probably won't win anything for this competition, other than improved health and energy to try again next year!


What are you doing to stay inspired in your daily quest for exercise?  

No comments:

Post a Comment